Sunday, August 2, 2009

Snowbird, Utah


A brief break from fern posts: last week I was in Snowbird, Utah for the Botanical Society of America's annual Botany conference. Lots of talks, lots of mixing and mingling with friends and colleagues who only come together at this yearly event. And since the conference was in Utah, lots of mountains were available for climbing. On the last day before flying out, my labmate Phil and I took on one of the taller peaks. We hiked from the resort at an elevation of 8,125 feet, up to Hidden Peak, only 1.25 miles away but at the lofty height of 11,000 feet. It damn near killed me. But I have some beautiful photos to show for it. We only found one fern up there, a Cryptogramma species, so I'll focus instead on the beautiful wildflowers we found. Angiosperms have their day here on No Seeds!




Clockwise from top left: Aquilegia sp. (Columbine), Castilleja sp. (Indian paintbrush), Potentilla sp. (Cinquefoil), Linum sp. (Flax).

No comments: